Chief of Staff
San Francisco, CA | Remote
Who are we?
We are a mission-driven, venture-backed, grant-awarded team of clinicians, scientists, engineers, and business leaders who focus on delivering higher quality surgical care. Using machine learning and data science, we predict complications so that surgeons can proactively intervene to mitigate these risks before and after surgery. We reduce complications, readmissions and ultimately, assist in bringing the patient safely through the surgical journey.
What will you do?
As the Chief of Staff, you will act as the “Jack or Jill-of-all-trades,” skillfully navigating between your role as an administrator (structure and process lead), advisor (strategy and thought partner), integrator (cohesion and alignment driver), and implementer (priorities and special projects executor). This position is inherently in flux between the listed roles, between various verticals, with 10-20% undefined. Consequently, the primary characteristic of a successful Chief of Staff will be the willingness to jump into whatever needs to be done for the success of the company. We are looking for someone with a deeply optimistic, mission-driven, “can-do” attitude coupled with the organizational and executional talent needed to navigate through high-pressure, face-paced environments.
Strategy and Thought Partnership
- Help the CEO identify priorities, strategically align her time with those, and revisit them regularly to assess progress
- Act as a key thought partner, brainstorming & identifying solutions to challenges
- Act as a sounding board to the CEO for new ideas and initiatives
- Help determine objectives and key results (OKRs) and drive their development cycles
Operations and Project Management
- Oversee large, often cross-functional, organization-wide projects or initiatives, primarily with hospital accounts and strategic partnerships; bring together important account stakeholders and help drive decisions
- Propose the creation of new systems and processes to streamline operations
- Maintain and foster the team’s commitment to set processes and structures
- Provide communications support: drafting emails, reports, memos, presentations, internal and external communications, and/or social media posts
- Oversee meeting preparation and planning – from scheduling the agenda to drafting presentations to taking notes – for important internal and external meetings
- Organize company retreats, conferences, and other special events
Hiring and Management
- Manage hiring process for roles reporting to the CEO and CTO including drafting job descriptions, creating a strategy for inbound, outlining interview processes, and screening candidates.
- Manage contracting process with technical and business contractors
- 3+ years of professional experience
- Strategic thinker, data-driven and analytical in approach to solving problems
- Systems and process-thinker; loves creating order out of chaos
- Strong self-organization and accountability systems and the ability to manage organization and accountability systems for teams
- Strong professional written and verbal communication; listens well and can easily learn to communicate in someone else’s “written voice”
- Excels at building relationships and networks; influences others to achieve outcomes
- Exceptional project management skills; a proven ability to take an idea from inception to completion while effectively and efficiently communicating with various departments
- Comfortable behind the stage, supporting the person in the spotlight; thrives on helping others be their best selves and anticipating their needs before they are spoken
- Deeply loyal and a steel-trap with confidential information
- Strong knowledge & interest in tech and startups
- A vibrant entrepreneurial spirit and a drive to contribute to a larger mission
- Ability to work in a semi-remote team environment
- Willingness to travel up to 25%
- Understanding of the healthcare landscape and its interplay (health systems, payers, EHR companies, etc.)
- Experience at a startup
- Experience with healthcare IT (preferably Epic)
- Experience with industry or academic research
- Experience with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software
- General understanding of data technologies (e.g. Machine Learning, Neural Networks, AI, Deep Learning)
Our commitment to diversity is a commitment to our belief that diversity is part of the essential DNA from which our company is built. Our success is dependent on building a team that includes people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for and welcome a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically underrepresented groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
To apply for this opportunity, please send your resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org